Sunday, December 11, 2011

Making a Christmas shopping list

‘Tis the season to be jolly, (or so my hangover tells me), so I’d like to show you how you could use WikiPack to make a Christmas shopping list. I’m not saying that you should buy any of the items on my shopping list and send them to me, but I won’t stop you if you really want to :)

Making a new page

WikiPack starts with pages, your pages, which can be about anything you like. So let’s make a shopping list page. There’s a bunch of different ways you can do that:

  • Use the shiny “New page” button in the WikiPack web app.
    Probably the simplest, and most obvious
  • Edit an existing page and add a link to the new shopping list page.
    Huh? But it doesn’t exist yet, what is this madness?
  • Create a new file in your Dropbox folder.
    You know, with your favourite text editor.

I tend to prefer starting with a relevant page and editing that to enter a link to the new page I’m creating. That might sound a bit weird, linking to a page that doesn’t exist yet, but the way it works is actually pretty cool: After saving the page, when you click on the link, it creates the new page for you automatically, and when you save the new page, it will have a link back to the original page. I like using this approach because it keeps all my stuff nicely linked together and organised.

Anyway, let’s say for this example that we’ll create a page called “Christmas Shopping List”. Here’s what the link would look like in the parent page:

# My awesome page of stuff

Make a [[ChristmasShoppingList|Christmas shopping list]]

The ChristmasShoppingList bit is a “WikiWord”, and the bit after the | is how the link will be displayed on the page.

Building the list

What I love about WikiPack is using it to gather links, pictures, and notes about things together, and how easy it is to do that. Something I was thinking of putting on my list was a waterproof case for my digital camera so we can get some great photos when we’re camping and having fun on the beach. Here’s what the page might look like:

## D90 Waterproof case

Looks like the DiCAPac WP-S10 is the top contender for a cheap, soft, waterproof case.

* [Manufacturer's site](http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/02_products/sub03.html)
* Available on [Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Nikon-D3000-Underwater-Hous/dp/B003L75CUC) for about $90, or locally for about $150
* Great product shot on [Flickr](http://www.flickr.com/photos/deskounlmtd/3588053889/)  
  ![photo](http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2424/3588053889_fb5270e2b6.jpg)
* Awesome, [comprehensive review](http://www.danhimbrechts.com/blog/2009/11/22/dicapac-wp-s10-dslr-waterproof-housing/) from a Sydney based photographer - he recommends it.

And here’s how that would actually look on the page:


D90 Waterproof case

Looks like the DiCAPac WP-S10 is the top contender for a cheap, soft, waterproof case.


The cool thing is that while on your larger device, you can do your research and copy & paste links and photos etc into your page, but when you’re out and about, you can still view the rendered page, or even edit it if needed. I added an idea I had to one of my pages over the weekend with my phone, and while I was in a store I spotted some camera cases like the one above and was able to quickly pull up my page to get the model number of the one I was looking at. Fun times!

If you'd like to try WikiPack for making your own Christmas shopping list, go to http://wikipackit.com and bring the awesomeness to your Dropbox folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment