Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tools of the trade: QuickCursor + TextMate

I’ve talked about QuickCursor previously, a handy tool for editing text fields in your favourite text editor. Today I’d like to show you how I use it with TextMate to make editing Markdown files in WikiPack so much easier:

Another cool thing I forgot to mention is that TextMate can give you a preview of how the Markdown will be rendered, before saving it back to the browser. I find that useful so I can quickly check that my document without having to save it and then edit it again if I made any mistakes.

It should also be mentioned that this combination of tools can be used on any website that accepts text input. It can also be used with native Mac apps that provide text fields. I use it constantly throughout the day!

Side note: TextMate 2

Yes, I have an Alpha copy of TextMate 2. To be honest, it didn’t really offer anything to tempt me away from Sublime Text 2. I pretty much just use TextMate as my system default Markdown editor, and use Sublime Text for my coding. Will be interesting to see what it’s like when it’s officially released; hope it’s a free upgrade!

No comments:

Post a Comment